Rest easy. We've got you covered in the Great Outdoors. Check out our tips and recipes for navigating the great outdoors with more finesse and less stress. Essential Survival Outdoors Essential Oil Tips:
* Natural sunscreen - Mix 4 oz. avocado oil (available at most health food stores) with 30 drops of our lavender oil, and massage generously into exposed areas. Reapply after swimming. (Note -because everyone's skin is different, please test this on yourself to see how you respond before spending the entire day in the sun with it.)
* Natural insect repellent - Fill a 4 oz. spray bottle with purified water and 20 drops of Purification. Spray onto clothing and skin before going outside. Alternatively, rub a couple of drops into exposed skin. Safe, effective, and non-toxic for people of all ages.
* Sunburn - For sunburn, dilute our therapeutic-quality lavender oil 50/50 in almond, coconut, or sesame oil and lightly massage into affected area a couple of times per day. For a particularly severe burn, pour a teaspoon of the lavender/vegetable oil mixture into a medium-sized bowl of cold water. Soak a clean wash cloth in the lavender water preparation and hold it over the burned area for a few minutes. Add ice cubes to the water as needed to keep the temperature low.
* Dehydration - Add lemon oil to your water. It not only makes the water taste fantastic, but it has a gentle purifying and oxygenating effect in your body.
* Insect bites and stings - If you forget to use Purification as your insect repellent, dab it on bites and stings for instant relief in itching, pain and inflammation. This works for bee stings, chiggers, ticks, mosquito, and other bites and stings.
* Overheating - Apply a drop or two of our therapeutic-quality peppermint oil to the bottoms of the feet. Add a drop to your water.
* Sprains/Strains - Apply PanAway essential oil blend strait or diluted 50/50 with a vegetable oil to the affected area. Repeat 2x/day as needed for reduction of pain and inflammation, and to speed the healing.
* Cuts/Scrapes - Apply a drop of lavender oil directly to cuts, scrapes, and wounds to stop the bleeding, cleanse the wound, promote healing, and prevent scarring.
* Blisters - Apply a drop of Purification oil strait to blisters to prevent infection and help them to heal.
* Diarrhea - Rub a drop of peppermint oil on your abdomen. Also, you can take add a drop of peppermint oil to your water and drink. For severe digestive upset, also massage a couple of drops of peppermint oil on the bottoms of the feet.
* Allergies/hayfever - For mild to moderate allergies, drop a couple of drops of lavender into your hands, rub them together and inhale deeply. Rub the lavender on the bottoms of the feet, particularly the balls of the feet and toes. For more severe allergies, take lavender oil internally in addition. Drop a couple of drops directly on your tongue, hold for a few seconds, then swallow daily or whenever you have an attack. Alternatively, get some blank capsules from your local health food store and make lavender capsules by pouring in a bit of olive oil and 3 drops of lavender. Take 1 capsules 2-3x/day or as needed.
* Spider bites -For black widow spider bites, apply 1 drop of lavender on the bite every 2-3 minutes until you reach the hospital. For brown recluse spider bites, apply 1 drop of Purification or Thieves every minute until you reach the hospital.
* Snake bites - Dilute Thieves oil 50/50 with a high-quality vegetable oil and apply 2-3 drops on site every 15 minutes until you reach the hospital.
* Poison ivy/poison oak - Dilute either frankincense, Purification, or peppermint 50/50 in a high-quality vegetable oil such as almond or olive oil and apply a few drops to affected area 2x/day. For severe cases, apply the diluted oils with a clean wash cloth in a cold compress as needed.
* Diffuse musty smells - Make a spray bottle with Purification oil (as described above for the natural insect repellent) and lightly spray your gear, clothing, and your space to clear out bad odors. Also, removes strong odors from urine, mildew, smoke, and more! For intense odors, use a small amount of undiluted Purification on site.
* Sleeping Aid - Apply a couple of drops of Peace & Calming oil to the feet and inhale it to promote restful sleep both while camping and at home. Great for adults, babies, and everyone in between!
* Repel rodents and insects from your garden - To keep mice, gophers, moles, and other rodents from messing with your garden, put 3-4 drops of peppermint oil on cotton balls, place the cotton balls in the holes and burrows, and cover them up with dirt. To repel harmful insects, fill an 8 oz. spray bottle with water, a bit of natural dish soap, and 5 drops of peppermint plus 5 drops of Purification. Spray directly on the leaves and flowers of the plants you are seeking to protect. To repel snails and slugs, make a similar spray with pine oil and spray it in the garden.
Natural Personal Care with the Essential Oil Survival Kit
* Natural deodorant - For a 100% natural, non-toxic, and low-maintenance deodorant, apply a couple of drops of Purification oil to the armpits each morning. You will still sweat, but the Purification will keep you smelling fresh!
* Natural oral care - Make your own natural, non-toxic toothpaste with a tsp of baking soda and 3-4 drops of Thieves oil. You will be amazed at how clean your mouth feels!! For children, use less Thieves oil.
* Natural skin care - Add a drop of essential oil to a small amount of sesame or olive oil, and massage into the skin morning and night. Use frankincense for anti-aging and sun damage reversal, or lavender for all skin types including acne-prone skin. This is one of my best-kept skincare secrets!!
Work With Mother Nature, Not Against Her
Essential oils are mother nature's liquid gold. They are the ultimate in first-aid and beauty treatments, and can enhance your enjoyment of all your outdoors activities. They are light-weight, portable, non-toxic, cost-effective, super-concentrated, virtually indestructible, versatile, and most important of all - they WORK! So next time you head out for that camping trip or even to the park, when you grab your water bottle and favorite hat make sure you don't forget your Essential Oil Survival Kit!